Sunday, June 29, 2008

DavidIloveyou!!!!


I don't usually buy The Mail on Sunday (or on any other day of the week, for that matter). Why would I? It's a nasty, confused rag written by nasty, confused people, all of whom only ever write about people and events they don't like and contradict themselves on every page. But in the name of ardent, obsessive fan worship, today I made an exception: 'iSelect - David Bowie's own choice of the 12 greatest tracks of his career on one brilliant CD!', screamed the headline on the cover, alongside a picture of the man himself at the height of Ziggy mania (and a smaller, black and white one lifted from the 'Changes' photo session, just for good measure). £1.50, for 'The Bewlay Brothers', 'Win', 'Lady Grinning Soul' and 'Fantastic Voyage' (one of my favourite ever Bowie songs) all on the same CD, alongside rarities such as 'Repetition', 'Some Are' and even 'Time Will Crawl'. Sold, to the woman with no principles whatsoever when it comes to collecting yet more Bowie-abilia. And of course, it's an ace collection, nicely paced and hugely satisfying. But here's the best bit:

In TMOS2 - which pertains to be the 'culture' section, hahaha - David reveals ("in his own words") the "fascinating stories behind the songs he personally selected for this unique CD"). And when they say "in his own words", it's clear that they really, really mean it. I can't see a Mail journalist coming up with a sentence like this: " I was looking to create a profligate world that could have been inhabited by characters from Kurt Weill or John Rechy - a bridge between Enid Blyton's Beckenham and The Velvet Underground's New York" ('Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing').  Or this: "This is not, you may be speechless to learn, an ode to Winfred Atwell" ('Lady Grinning Soul'). Or my favourite: "Images of the failed Napoleonic force stumbling back through Smolensk, finding the unburied corpses of their comrades left from their original advance in Moscow. Or possibly a snowman with a carrot for a nose; a crumpled Crystal Palace Football Club admission ticket at his feet - a Weltschmerz indeed" ('Some Are'). But even if a Mail journalist were to write such overblown, camp, highly embellished sentences ... can you imagine what a typical reader would make of such literary brouhaha? For Mail readers - judging from today's edition, anyway - gobble up headlines such as 'BBC's golden couple split!', 'Drug Addicts behind 3bn increase in disability benefit' and 'Golden Oldie Claudia still making waves at Chanel' (that'll be Claudia Schiffer, at 37 years old deemed to be the 'old lady' of the supermodel brigade). Elsewhere, Mariella Frostrup (another hero of mine) is referred to as an 'ageing frump', Susan Pinker states that it's 'a woman's right to choose a less well paid job' and Peter Hitchens points out that he doesn't care about Zimbabwe 'and neither do you'. Oh, and Paris Hilton is the cover girl on the glossy magazine. And in the middle of it all ... David Bowie, emoting in the wild, wonderful, ridiculous way that only he can. 

So forgive me, won't you, my own little Schadenfreude moment (with a word like that, I know that David would): Mail readers are also offered the opportunity to buy the once extremely rare (until this month, only available on bootleg) CD of 'David Bowie Live in Santa Monica '72' (yes, fans - the ultimate 'Ziggy' moment), which isn't officially released until the end of July. Well nyeah, nyeah - I've already got it. But then again, I'm currently amongst the top bidders on ebay, hussling for 'the last cigarette Bowie ever smoked in his Ziggy persona', which might be mine for the bargain price of 72 dollars. Whether that makes me a sadder person than even a regular Daily Mail reader, I don't know (and frankly I don't care, because hey, I'm happy!). And the joy I'm experiencing today from (a) my new CD, and (b) David Bowie's pompous track-by-track notes knows no bounds - it's the sort of joy that could only be overtaken by the arrival of Whoopi, my own little Diamond Dog.

Altogether now: Bom-bom-bom-de-bombom-thrummm! "In the event that this fantastic voyage ..." (etc, etc, ad infinitum).


11 comments:

Dollface said...

I get the Daily Mail when I'm doing the radio and it's funny how you start to think "this paper is hilarious and I must buy it more often..." in a very ironic way of course. Mind you I start to think that about The Star too...

I say stray off the beaten (Guardian, Mirror, Independent) track every so often to see what the rest of the world thinks. Good reality check.

And how lazy a blogger am I?
I'll be back...Love.

H said...

no no no! It's people like you that allow them to inflate their circulation figures and perpetuate the myth that they are the voice of the nation! Rather than, say, evil bigoted scaremongering hate-filled scum.

So please don't buy it, even for the free CD. Shoplift the free CD, by all means. That'll learn 'em.

Anonymous said...

It's funny how none of you seem to think that Bowie himself may be the 'evil' one here? Or can he do no wrong?

Anonymous said...

'Reality check'? 'Evil, bigoted, scaremongering, hate-filled scum'? I'd bet that both comments above - and the perspective of the AD herself - are formed by lives lived in comfortable, 'liberal' Britain - Bath ladies who lunch, perhaps? And nary a whisper about the fact that DB himself has chosen to circulate yet another compilation through the Mail. But then again, Guardian readers have Coldplay to fawn all over these days, do they not? Lovely, middle class white boys singing lovely, middle class ditties - gotta go; my organic veg box delivery has just arrived (Asda? Not I! That's where Mail readers shop for factory farmed chicken and hoodies).

Anonymous said...

'Reality check'? 'Evil, bigoted, scaremongering, hate-filled scum'? I'd bet that both comments above - and the perspective of the AD herself - are formed by lives lived in comfortable, 'liberal' Britain - Bath ladies who lunch, perhaps? And nary a whisper about the fact that DB himself has chosen to circulate yet another compilation through the Mail. But then again, Guardian readers have Coldplay to fawn all over these days, do they not? Lovely, middle class white boys singing lovely, middle class ditties - gotta go; my organic veg box delivery has just arrived (Asda? Not I! That's where Mail readers shop for factory farmed chicken and hoodies).

Anonymous said...

Jane: before you go wildly accusing my fellow bloggers (or bloggeresses, as the Mail would no doubt call them) of being Bath Ladies who Lunch, I suggest you actually read their blogs (and mine too, for that matter). And, erm, Coldplay/organic boxes? You're sorta getting off the point. Oh, and while I'm on to you: you don't need to press 'post' twice when you want to leave a comment here. Once really is quite enough ...

H said...

Yay! Fight! Sorry for causing dissent in your comment box, Mel, I forget that there are people out there who don't think I'm remotely funny.

Ladies who lunch? Well, yes, if you count a WHSmith sandwich at my desk in the midst of another 60 hour week. But a nice thought all the same.

Melissa said...

No dissent as far as I'm concerned, H; I think CJ is somehow missing the point. And I find you very funny, so there.

We really must have afternoon tea in the Pump Rooms again soon, after a spot of shopping in Jollys. After all, it's not like us Bath ladies have anything else to fill our time (apart from swooning over the geeky one in Coldplay, of course ...).

Dollface said...

Fuckinell, the last time I had lunch in Bath was over two years ago.

Re: buying the Mail occasionally. If you don't know what the "evil bigoted scaremongering hate-filled scum" are up to how can you fight against them?

And besides, I'm not sure what your point is Calamity Jane. Maybe you've had too much organic asparagus or something...

Melissa said...

Gotta lurve my gals!

xxx

BenSix said...

Who couldn't love the Daily Mail?

Without it I'd never even KNOW that the immigrants have taken over.