Sunday, March 8, 2009

That Sunday feeling...?


Much like the weather, my mood could go in any direction today. On one hand, I'm ridiculously contented: well over halfway though one of the most laborious jobs of the year (researching and compiling listings etc for Venue's annual food guide, 'Eating Out West'), and at about the same halfway house stage with the menu for today's late lunch (smoked mackerel pate on toast followed by roast pork with cannelini bean and kale mash, and fresh strawberry mousse for pud - yum!). I've had a week away from the bar (resulting in a three pound weight loss without much effort at all), one of my favourite people has just announced that she's three months pregnant (huge congrats, M2B!) and according to astrologer Neil Spencer in today's Observer magazine, 'midweek tumult at work offers me a chance to advance my course' (which I think is a rather exciting prediction, despite the 't' word). So what's going on with the other hand?

A recent reappreciation of The Pet Shop Boys - who have been one of my favourite bands ever, since long before their recent Brit Award accolade - has turned me all nostalgic. Is there a better (or more beautifully expressed) paean to insecurity than 'Jealousy' (which put me in mind of a long-lost friend)? Don't you yearn to be engulfed by the feelings expressed so well in 'I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Thing'? Isn't 'Young Offender', though desperately sad and, erm, a bit desperate, also thrillingly uplifting? I feel strong connections to these three songs, and listening to them again today has made me realise just how much I want, need and yearn for a publisher to allow me to spend my time waffling on and on about life's many contradictions, bittersweet experiences and odd twists and turns along the way in short (or even long) story format. Perhaps Wednesday is going to bring such an opportunity to my door. Or perhaps not. Either way, life does and will go on - and my mood, like the weather today, will adapt and change with the moment.

Please click'n'play below. I'd be interested to hear how these delicious ditties make you feel, too...








No comments: