Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Vapours, the Wheatsheaf, Eating Out West and cauliflower cheese


I seem to have gone down with a really weird virus (physical, nothing to do with computers) that's made my limbs go all heavy and only allows me to enjoy energy for two hours at a time, at which point I then have to swoon on the sofa or the bed like an over-corseted Victorian lady in need of her vapour-fix for another three hours while my energy levels top up again. As you can imagine, this is not fun, and not in the slightest bit glamorous. It's actually really, really boring, especially when I'm normally such a 'things to do, people to see, drinks to be drunk' sort of gal. Ah well - as my doctor pointed out, at least it's not Swine Flu, even if it's a pig to endure (he's like that, my doctor - has to leave you hanging on a bad pun after any given appointment).

Anyway, the virus is one of the reasons I haven't updated myself here for a while. Other reasons include a family visit (great fun, apart from when I gave in to being over-drunk and got into a fight about who loves Freddie Mercury the most with Mike's brother) (I like to think I won), attendance at the launch of the new-look 2009 edition of the 'Eating Out West' guide (an ace job, though I say it myself, but the updated version isn't available online yet so I can't link it) and a really fabulous review dinner at The Wheatsheaf, after which I declared Head Chef Lee Evans to be the very best I've ever come across, ever, despite having eaten four Michelin-starred dinners so far this year alone and recently taking a mini-foray into the pro-kitchen myself. Well, not that 'pro'...

A local gastropub/restaurant (and not the one you expect me to name-check at this point) are including my recipes for hazelnut and mozzarella burgers, cauliflower and leek cheese and white chocolate and Amaretto truffles on their 'Specials' board, credited to the Animal Disco Bistro (even though not all those recipes have appeared here yet) and made by my own fair hand for the first couple of nights. We're also 'in talks' (as they say) about getting together to produce a cookery book, but the people in charge of all this activity have asked me not to mention the name of the venture I'm in cahoots with here yet as they want us to be able to set up reciprocal links and do bits and bobs of other local publicity all at the same time, which means I might get more visitors here (including even some who leave comments, hint hint). Oooh, it's all so...well, a bit scary, actually. But also more than a bit frustrating, because I can't yet go ahead with the plan (it was meant to be my debut evening tomorrow) thanks to the non-Swine Flu. Oh, Mother Nature/karma/whatever can be so weird! But in a good way, I guess; there is, after all, usually a good reason for every hurdle that we have to stumble over en route to the finishing line. I'm not quite sure what this particular hurdle is all about, but as soon as I find out, I'll let you know.

I'm off back to bed now (thank god for daytime TV), but while I'm away, feel free to leave a comment (especially the very regular visitor who lives in Manchester - you know who you are; why don't you let me know, too?).

4 comments:

Freddie Mercury's third biggest fan, Camden, London, UK said...

I am not the visitor from Manchester but I am a very regular reader of this blog who has yet to comment because I'm a bit shy and also because I think the writing and the ideas here are always great so I don't want to mess the page up. But seeing as you asked us to comment in such a polite way, I decided to step up and say hi.

Get well soon and good luck with the new project.

California Screamin' said...

Bebe: does what I told you on the phone last night count as a comment here? God, you're so demanding!!!

Anonymous said...

What a marvelous thing to fight about!

The only thing that might be better is arguing over who over who loves Gandhi more. This one depends on you being able to handle the irony.

(Did you get my last email, or has the internet eaten another one?)

Melissa said...

Dearest Theo: when it came to the argumentative part of the evening, I'm sorry to report that all notion of irony had flown out of the window. I'm glad you appreciated our efforts, though!

As for your last email: I fear you've been eaten. I thought you'd dumped me. Shall we start over?

M x

PS. I love Gandhi more than you do.