Friday, December 5, 2008

Yesterday's news

And so it came to pass that the week rolled along, as weeks tend to do.

In the time that’s passed since my last, panicky post here, I’ve pretty much been permanently riding an emotional escalator. On the work front, I’ve considered giving up writing professionally (publicly?) completely, accepted three major national broadsheet feature commissions, sacked my agent, been sacked by my agent, sorted things out with my agent…and written lots of stuff for Venue and Folio (magazines which I now respect and appreciate more than ever before).

I’ve been out with The Bears, scoffed a scuzz, seen Simply Red at the 02 Arena and enjoyed a very pleasant afternoon with Medad (who knows nothing about the whole sorry drama that started last Saturday and ain’t over yet) (and, I hope, never will). I’ve had several difficult phone calls with my mum and my sister, and started my apology campaign by dispatching a huge bouquet to Liverpool. And I’ve had an incredible amount of honest, proper, genuine support and comments from very dear friends, without whom I’d have probably turned to the sherry for solace.

So how am I doing inside? Frustrated, sad, angry; confused, enraged, calm. One part of me wishes I’d never written ‘it’ in the first place; the other part of me – larger, I think? –wishes I could be understood for doing what I did. I wish just one family member – niece, mum’s husband? – would pop in here every so often; then perhaps they would understand what my job – indeed, my compulsion to write – is actually all about. I understand and accept their hurt and feelings of betrayal. The sad thing is, I thought that perhaps they might understand me a little bit better as a result of ‘it’. Okay, my words ended up a bit twisted on the published page (a fact that I know they’ll never, ever accept or even want to hear anything more about), but I’m still me, and they’re still them, and I really love them, and none of that has changed. Except it has - and I don’t know when – or if – they’ll ever change back to where we were before last Saturday.

Last year (Sunday November 18th, according to my friendly archivist) I published a post here labeled ‘This Functional Family’. It’s just one of many, many posts – and indeed, very publicly published features – that totally sum up what my family mean to me. It’s a great shame that the only one we’ll probably ever discuss is the one that I’ll now forever refer to as ‘it’, and feel nothing but horribleness when I even think about what happened as a result.

3 comments:

kerstin said...

You have a right to your feelings. True love, from your family or others,is accepting that this was your truth.
I would encourage you not to back down unless that article was completely inaccurate.
I've made many mistakes as a mother. I do apologize for them.
It sounds as if your parents are in denial about their own behaviour during their time of crisis. Behaving 'badly' is understandable, we are all human, subject to crazy periods, but denying that it occurred, isn't. Your parents happen to have given birth to a writer. What do they expect? Of course you are going to write about it. That's who you are. It's your story.
But perhaps they should be given the right to reply?
My tuppence worth.

Melissa said...

Thank you so much, ML - your 'tuppence worth' is priceless to me.

I have given my mum a 'right to reply' - so has the newspaper in question - but she doesn't want to go over it any more; well, certainly not in such a public forum.

Things can will get better, I'm sure.

Thanks again for your wise words.

Melissa said...

Erm - can AND will, above. Need sherry!

M x