Friday, May 2, 2008

... but am I Jessica Tate or John Boy Walton?


Morning all! And no, we don't have to worry about volume levels being too high - I'm nowhere near as hungover and morose as predicted; in fact, I'm feeling as zingy as a ... zingy thing? But by rights, I shouldn't be. I did indeed have far too much fun last night (most of which I enjoyed at my very own kitchen table long after what's supposed to be my bedtime). But somehow, I managed to 'drink responsibly' - crikey; don't tell me I'm growing up?!

Talking of which: some of you may be old - sorry, mature - enough to remember the late 70s American sitcom 'Soap'. I may have only been around 12 or 13 when it first hit the wind-up TV screen at my then family home (wow - sometimes it amazes even me to think that I once had a family home!), but I 'got it' straight away: dysfunctional relationships! Gay people! Alien abduction! A man who could only communicate through a ventriloquist's dummy! Murder! Moonies! Divorce! ... at last, there was a family that I could relate to as 'normal' on TV. If anybody's wondering what to get me for my forthcoming 103rd birthday, the full series on DVD (if it exists?) will do nicely, thank you. But such blatant 'I Waaaaant Thaaat!" behaviour is not the purpose of this post.

As I tumbled my way around my messy bedroom in the wee small hours of this morning getting undressed, removing make up and trying to apply vaseline to my heels (new shoes: the ultimate codependent, love/hate relationship) at the same time, I ran over the events of a very eventful evening in my tumbly mind. And I got to thinking ... my life has turned into that sitcom. Please understand that I can't name names or give away too much detail here, but last night in GP there sat, around the table in the snug, a cast list of characters all woven together by a massively complicated but somehow entirely natural, easygoing set of circumstances, of which I was buzzing around near the epicentre. Old friends and new friends, exes and currents (and, for some, the prospect of possible futures), colleagues, cohorts and even a boss of sorts were all gathered together around the same bottle of wine (okay, several bottles, but you know what I mean). So yes, the gathering was, in one way, a sitcom waiting to happen. Or was it actually the contemporary version of 'The Waltons'? I could happily place myself, my family and my friends in either Dunns River, Connecticut or plop them on top of Waltons Mountain, and d'you know what? Normal service would be resumed. 

Anyway, all this rambling is a very long-winded way of saying that I had a lovely time last night. But I'm suddenly extremely conscious of the fact that I've been lucky enough to wake up on most mornings of my life and say exactly the same thing. 

I think perhaps a group hug is called for ...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This wonderful Blog has quickly turned in to the healthiest addiction I've ever had. You're on amazing form lately, Animal. Count me in on that group hug please!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have put it better myself, (anonymous) Girlfriend! Well I could, and I often do, but I don't want to scare anybody away. I might not get too touchy-feely with the hug, though - we wouldn't want to smudge M's lipstick would we? M: have you ever thought of calling your next book 'My Family & Other Animals'? Oh hang on - that one's already taken. Why not write you autobiography and call it 'Life in the Zoo' instead? Grrrrrooowwwwwwwwl! (PS start naming names! I want dish!)

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have put it better myself, (anonymous) Girlfriend! Well I could, and I often do, but I don't want to scare anybody away. I might not get too touchy-feely with the hug, though - we wouldn't want to smudge M's lipstick would we? M: have you ever thought of calling your next book 'My Family & Other Animals'? Oh hang on - that one's already taken. Why not write you autobiography and call it 'Life in the Zoo' instead? Grrrrrooowwwwwwwwl! (PS start naming names! I want dish!)

Rob Windstrel Watson said...

Yay Melissa, California Schemin' is right. Be true to your calling and dish the dirt (whisper) - we won't tell.

Mmmm, Animal Disco ... Sounds a great place to send Cafe Hopcott's four foot attack slug ... And you know these attack slugs with four feet can be extremely temperamental unless kept very entertained :-)

Anonymous said...

Anoymous, Cali Schemin' and Rob: make room for me in that group hug! She's fabulous, isn't she? I love this post, M. You say that you 'get/got' Soap. I completely get where you're coming from, and wish I'd have had the skill and confidence that you have back when I was young enough to do something creative with it!

Dollface said...

Right it's Battle of the Blogs it seems. If you want a vicarious weekend log on to Kirkbgirl and you'll find every other day really means every other day. Ish.
Dollface