Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Home ... ? Part 2


Ah, now I understand: home is where the hob is! But if you've just tuned in to the Disco, please don't be put off by the opening beat - I promise that this isn't one of those sickly recipe-based blogs where ingredient amounts are designated by 'cups' and 'sticks' of butter and 'heavy cream' fly around with distinctly non-gay abandon (why are the majority of such blogs always North American? And why are they always, always so desperately prim?). Anyway, as I was saying, this blog doesn't revolve around the ramblings of a desperate housewife permanently on the lookout for new ways with 'hamburger' (they mean mincemeat) or Betty Crocker cake mixes. To the contrary; you'll find some very undomesticated ramblings here. But I do love food, glorious food, for both professional and amateur hour purposes. Not that last night's dinner was amateurish - no siree! But in my attempt to ground myself again (post-Liverpool, and all that), I managed to rustle up an extremely tasty little number that I feel obliged to share with you. If you prefer your dinner in (a) ready meal form or (b) from the nearest takeaway, skip the rest of this post and come back tomorrow, when I'll no doubt be hungover, morose and sorry for myself. But if you fancy getting your hands dirty in the most satisfactory way, read on (and have a notebook to hand):

Nigel Slater started it (doesn't he always?). He suggested using lamb chump chops, but I couldn't find any (I think I'm supposed to use the word 'source' instead of 'find' here) so I chopped up a slab of lamb loin instead (not a nice job unless you've got a very sharp knife, which I haven't). Whatever you find/source/use,  you need around 400g of lamb lumps, which you then put in a bowl with 6 tbs of plain yoghurt, two cloves of crushed garlic, 1 tsp of ground cumin and a handful of chopped fresh mint leaves. Mulch the whole lot together with your hands, making sure you really squidge the marinade into the meat, then cover it and forget about it for anything up to eight hours (but if you're in a hurry, even half an hour is better than nowt). When you can be bothered to turn the oven on, heat it up to around 200 degrees, tip the meaty minty mixture into an ovenproof dish and bake it for about an hour. I served mine on a tangle of rocket and fresh spinach, with the juices poured over the leaves and a little dollop of cannellini bean hummous (also very easy to make yourself) and a pool of fresh tsatsiki (ditto) artfully splurged either side of a toasted pitta bread. The result? It was the nicest thing I've cooked in ... ooh, days. Do it! 

This evening we're having Thai green curry made with roast vegetables (sweet potatoes, carrots and aubergines) on brown rice. I might even sling a banana loaf into the oven at the same time. By tomorrow, I'll be fully grounded again, and all ready to hit the new sushi bar in town with a couple of girly mates, followed no doubt by a mini knees-up at GP. 

It's good to be home.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Why are the majority of such blogs always North American? And why are they always, always so desperately prim?". Perhaps because North American men/women/families (a), can't bear the idea of getting their hands dirty in the kitchen, (b) can't bear the idea of having a partner with a real life of their own (and who enjoys celebrating that life as much as you do), hence feel safe with a 'Betty Crocker' wife and (c) have major issues with world domination (our local produce is known the world over/the best ever/the greatest blahblahblahblahblah).

I should know - I relocated to Bath from the USA via Canada five years ago. I'm now free to make your lamb dish this evening. But please don't be too morose tomorrow - your blog livens up an otherwise very dull council office in Wiltshire on a daily basis!

Anonymous said...

Silly Sally - you've obviously hooked up with the wrong North American men! If only I'd got here seconds before you instead of spending hours and hours taking notes from Madam's latest post! I was about to say, don't be too hard on NA recipe people - my last bf was a chef who was far from prim, whose suggestions for BC cake mixes wouldn't get past the 'censor' (I'm talking about you again, Madam) here.

Anyhoodedoodie: I'm sure the lamb lumps will turn out lovely, but I'd rather read you when you're morose and hungover. Have too much fun, please?

Dollface said...

Bloody hell, I haven't even tried the sausage recipe yet and here you are with something delicious and lamby. Mmm. Now I'll have recipes building up and more guilty complexes. Love it.

There's a sitcom in all of this...somewhere...

Dollface

Rob Windstrel Watson said...

Oh no, a Post-Liverpudlian cook now ... Whatever next.

I've only just come to terms with post modernism, existential subjectivism and chronic irrigation and now ...

Post-Liverpudlian cooking ...

Presumably writes wrongs other writers can't reach ...

Er, I'll go now ...

Anybody seen the number 23 bus?

:-) Great blog :-)