Thursday, January 31, 2008

From IC to DB in one short, stormy moment ...

There was a massive, unexpected storm here this morning: icy sleet blown by the kind of sideways wind that picks up twigs and bits of debris from the road and dumps it all against the windows and on the roof, 'Wizard of Oz' style. It didn't last long, though - only just long enough for me to take my cup of coffee to the kitchen window and watch it all going on, with a Joy Division album fading to the finish in the background.

Ah, Joy Division; I haven't listened to them properly for ages. But I finally got around to seeing Anton Corbijn's Ian Curtis biopic 'Control' the other night at the Little Cinema, and my fascination was refreshed. If you haven't seen the film yet, do yourself a favour and go, even if you were never a JD fan in the first place - it's tenderly wrought and beautiful to watch. Yes, it's sad - how could the tale of a young life that ends in suicide not be? - but I'd rather leave a cinema feeling genuinely moved than commercially manipulated into a false sense of emotion. Am I making sense? Probably not; I haven't really 'got it together' in terms of making myself understood today, and I'm clearly not in 'professional review' mode. And every time I make an attempt to articulate the overall feelings that the film left me with, I'm left thinking more about how, if only someone older and wiser had been on hand to actually talk - or rather, listen - to Ian Curtis at the time, he'd still be around today.

Anyway, I just wanted to say, go and see 'Control' ... and if you do, tell me what you think about it afterwards (tip: pay particular attention to the opening scenes in the first 20 minutes or so: sulky teenage boys lounging around listening to David Bowie, smudged mascara on their cheeks and dreamy looks on their faces. Talking of which - oh come on, when aren't we in the mood for a treat like this):

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't get the link myself, but I've come to understand that the Animal Disco is not a linear experience! I too really enjoyed 'Control', but found it very hard to watch, in an emotional sense. Did you also attend the director's Q&A session after the screening in Bath? I tried to get tickets for it but it was sold out.

I love the way Russell Harty introduces David Bowie in the clip. I've never seen this one before. My guess is that's why you chose this particular version?

By the way, that storm hit Keynsham too. I wonder what soundtrack you might choose when it comes back again tonight?

Anonymous said...

The link is in your head, you funny person! It is in mine anyway, and also my heart.

M, I will go and see 'Control' if ever it arrives in Barcelona!

Anonymous said...

"Wild is the Wind"?

Anonymous said...

Love the video - but what the jiggery-pokey on earth is he talking about???? Worth going all the way just to see him do that fabulous "who, moi?" thing when the applause hits at the end.

It's amazing, though, that Ian Curtis went from Bowie fan to ... well, as you say, see the film. Animal, you are the Shirley Bassey of the blogging world: bright, bold and fabulous.