Sunday, January 6, 2008

I'd better start working on my karma ...

A glossy food magazine recently asked me to nominate my top three foodie experiences from 2007. Ooh, there were tough choices to be made. I could have mentioned Kentucky Fried Chicken (yes, honestly!) eaten on the forecourt of a service station somewhere between Birmingham and Bristol on a freezing cold night last January. Or, the kebab grabbed in a late night caff (in full-on party regalia, natch) on the way to a tres hip Liverpool film premiere in March. But eventually, goulash soup and Glühwein from a stall in Bernkastel Christmas market in December, takeaway baguettes eaten with my mum and my sister on a bench overlooking the weir in May and a shared bag of churros scoffed by my dad and I as we made our way from the Marais back to our rented apartment in Bastille, Paris, in early October topped the charts.

I gave reasons for my choices, describing how the atmosphere, the company and the taste of the food in my mouth combined to create memories that would be forever lodged in my senses. I wrote about how, for me, taste is so closely linked to emotions that often, even my diaries read like recipe books. I explained how eating out in restaurants (and writing about the experience afterwards) has taught me more about socio-cultural ritual - and my own abilities - than a Masters in Psychology ever could; suffice to say, I waxed lyrical about the great love of my life.

Clickety click, ping ping, nominations duly submitted. An hour later, another email from the magazine arrived in my inbox. “Dear Melissa”, it read; ‘We’re terribly sorry to have bothered you with our request. We mistook you for a food journalist. Thank you anyway for taking the time to reply”.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the people at the magazine who need to work on their karma, not you! Oh well, their loss. Perhaps you could post the article you wrote here instead?

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with Angelo! How ridiculous of them, and how very rude. I too would love to read the feature that the magazine have stupidly passed over.

Anonymous said...

You could 'work on your karma' by posting more here. couple months from now, you won't need a glossy magazine with an editor with a bad attitude to pay you. just don't stop blogging when the big boats come in! that would be a random act of cruelty. how's the project going, btw? and what's a churro? (and I bet you never eat kfc again, now that hugh is on the case).