Sunday, November 25, 2007

Dirty Linen

Ugh, I just almost got completely caught up in one of the most mundane banalities of life - in this case, sorting laundry. I came here, replied to a couple of comments from regular Discoites, then shuffled off and started being all ... I don't know, sort of Monica from 'Friends'-ish, like the laundry was suddenly the most important thing ever in the history of the world. Sit-com characters aside, does anybody honestly enjoy housework? Okay, I know it's a necessity, and it's lovely when it's all done (where would I be without clean pyjamas at bedtime, taken straight from the airing cupboard and warm as a new-laid egg?). But blimey, getting to that stage is such a dull, seemingly never-ending process! And today just isn't the kind of day that naturally lends itself to such an activity anyway (as surprisingly enough, despite what I've just said, some days do).

I got up at 5.30am this morning to finish off a long feature all about chef 'Signature Dishes' (for Folio magazine, January edition) which I wanted to get all done and dusted by 9am, partly so a particular sub-editor could do her magic on it before Press Day, but mainly because we had a lovely dog staying with us overnight (ah, Bella! We love you) and I wanted to make the most of my time with her before she went home again. Home, for Bella, is currently Luxembourg, but she was born in the USA, has enjoyed a long spate in Saudi Arabia and now lives in a pretty little European town. Is Bella, I wonder, the world's best-travelled dog? She's certainly one of the loveliest, that's for sure. I sooo much want a dog of my own! But even if I get one, Thumper will always, always retain pole position as (lizard) King of the Animal Disco household.

This afternoon, I'm reviewing a Spanish Fiesta courtesy of what I believe to be the West Country's most authentic tapas restaurant, La Flamenca in Bath. It's pretty chilly out, but fortunately, the sun is shining - I'm sure a plate of paella and a drop or two of sangria will warm us up nicely. I will of course duly report back at an appropriate time (and catch us all up on some other events that have taken place over the last couple of days, as detailed in my reply to some of the very nice comments I've received). I'm not quite sure how energetic I'll be feeling this evening (what with that early start this morning!), but whatever happens between now and when I next drop by here, one thing's certain: I'm not going to waste any more time being obsessed with sorting laundry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! I love housework - what, in the opinion of the Animal Disco, does that say about me?

Nice post again, M - leaping with life, as usual. I take it you were too exhausted after the fiesta to update us last night but I look forward to hearing all about it soon. Must dash now - beds to make, shirts to iron, rugs to shake!

Anonymous said...

We can only assume that the Fiesta was so good that it led to a 48-hour siesta? Come on, AD - we need to know what you're up to! We won't accept that you're too busy doing housework to keep up with the blog (said with tongue firmly planted in cheek).