Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Great Scott

There's an exceptionally well-written, highly original blog out there that's so laden with wit, originality and intelligence of content that just a two-minute visit can be enough to put me in an awed state of mind that lasts long after I log out.

If you're not already familiar with comic/actor/author/playwright Scott Capurro, I urge you to pay his site a visit. His work is not for the faint-hearted, or those obsessed with some kind of sinister, fusty notion of 'morality': he's a gay man who tells it like it is. Having said that, don't expect to find yet another collection of Graham Norton/Julian Clary style rambles; Scott's observations on life, human nature, sexuality, social ritual and the state of the world are about as 'real' as you can get - you read one of his posts and, whatever experience he's chosen to share with us, you live it with him.

Go to the 'blog posts' section of his site and read the piece posted in September of this year, about his mother - bold, brave and incredibly moving. Or check out the piece he wrote about his experiences in Prague - you'll never find this level of detail in 'Lonely Planet'. Want more traveller's tales? Ottawa, August 23rd 2007. Oh heck, just spend some time browsing around the site - if it all becomes too much for you, the emergency exit is a mere click away.

I saw Scott perform live in Bath a couple of months ago. The review was published in Venue magazine ... and dear Scott, having read what I'd written, dropped me a line and asked me for permission to publish it on his site. HE asked ME for permission! Flattered? I had such a grand attack of the vapors I had to take to my bed for 48 hours. So, if you want to know what I think of Scott's live show, find the post dated October 15th (or simply put the word 'Venue' into the search thingie) - the lead-in paragraph in itself is a great story, and every single word of it is true. Because that's Scott Capurro for you - honest to the max, sharp as a Bearded Dragon's scales .... and a wonderful, wonderful writer.

Scott, if I could fit one over my hair, I'd take my hat off to you. Come back to Bath (or even Bristol) soon, and we'll live it up like there's no tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link to Scott's site. It was quite an eye-opener to me in many ways, but I stuck with it and agree with you about how easily this talented, witty young man draws the reader in. I would love to see him live ... do I dare?

Also, your Capital of Culture piece made me smile. I've never visited your home city, but having seen the menu of events on offer for next year, perhaps 2008 would be the time to visit! I don't know if you will approve of what I'm about to say, but I'm a Paul McCartney fan. But Animal Disco, you are giving this grand dame a whole new lease of life and introducing me to things (music, writing, even food) that I never thought I would have the chance to be a part of. Great fun, keep it up.