Sunday, November 18, 2007

This Functional Family

Ah, time moves on all too quickly. They're on their way home again now; no sparkling frost to ponder this morning, just dreary drizzle, a very quiet house and a load of empty champagne bottles stacked up in the corner.

Yesterday was wonderful - a trot around town (including a spectacular lunch at Gascoyne Place - thank you so much, Marty!) and some shopping. In the evening, we sat around my kitchen table for the second night running, eating and drinking and generally making merry (or, in the case of my sister and I, making childish mischief). I decorated the table with tealights and battery powered glowing things, and we ate canapes of rye bread, cream cheese and smoked salmon, and blinis with dill-marinated herring. Salmon en croute followed, and chocolate brownies should have followed that, but by that stage, my hostess batteries were severely running down and I forgot all about them, so Mike and his brother ended up munching them straight from their crumpled foil wrapper (did they taste good, boys?).

At one point, I accidentally set my hand on fire (honestly, I did! I have the blisters to prove it). My dad talked about his ex-lovers (women who, by the way, were current lovers while he was married to my mum). My sister impersonated Debbie Harry, and encouraged me to impersonate Adam Ant. My mum - all pink and giggly and very, very funny - looked at old pictures of herself and loved us all, in her own special way. Stephen joined us and made extremely crude jokes and references at every turn. The other Steve arrived in his action man outfit. Mike drank spiced rum with ginger beer and exercised a great deal of patience. We listened to Kenny Rogers, Bananarama and Phil Spector's Christmas album, and later on we had a YouTube party, and relived yet more memories. Memories? The day was full of them, both recycled and freshly created. Which led me to thinking ...

My family are pretty much all scattered about these days. Mum and dad divorced years ago, and mum remarried the day before my sister embarked on her route to long-standing wedded bliss. It's a long story - not always a good one - but seeing as someone's got to tell it, I do, frequently. But last night - well, how many families do you know can sit around a table being absolutely ridiculous until well into the wee small hours, with no blips on the emotional horizon whatsoever and a great deal of joy to feast on? That was us, last night - the original Blease family, plus two newish and very welcome additions (Mike and his brother Steve).

I'll spend the afternoon with the Observer Food Monthly, chicken pie and mashed potatoes (Mike's at football as I write - he'll need such sustenance) and later, in the bath. After that, Status Quo in Portsmouth, with a visit to a new baby on the way, in Winchester. Live the dream? Sometimes, I feel as though that's exactly what I do.

Have a super Sunday, wherever you are. And if you're in the mood for an uplifting tune, go here, download a track called 'Do You Realize?" and let me know how it makes you feel.

Later, animals! x

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It made me feel as though ... YOU'RE BACK! Keep diarising, it seems to come naturally to you. More, more, more? Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Angelo - it is very good to have you back! Where have you been? We thought you'd gone for good and now here you are, with another whole new look. Is this a new look, or is this (and the previous post) the sort of thing we can expect from now on? Mix and match, it's all good. Very personal - I feel as though I was at that table with you all, and I wish I had been. The song is lovely and very unusual. As I am 63, I am perhaps a little too old to start dancing to new groups! But I will make an exception for this song.

Anonymous said...

Animal Disco: you are now reminding me of a cross between Nigel Slater and James Joyce. I hope you are taking that to be the compliment that it is. I also hope that you are planning to do this sort of writing much more regularly. I very enjoy your 'pithier' work as well, but the personal stories have a warmth to them that makes me hungry for more. As for the song. I could actually hear The Rolling Stones' 'Wild Horses' in the background as I read your words. I wonder if this would mean anything to you? Also, is your hand better, how did you set it on fire, did you enjoy the Status Quo, what are you cooking today?

Harry and Louise (from Cardiff. We found your blog through the Guardian).

Melissa said...

Thanks disco buddies, I really appreciate your comments.

Sylvia: you're never too old to start dancing to something new!

Harry & Louise: the writers you've compared me to are two of my all-time favourites ever, so I'm extremely flattered (ditto the 'Wild Horses' comment, too). My hand is better now, thank you for asking (I set it on fire when trying to stop a tabletop blaze caused by a napkin and a tealight), and today's menu is buried somewhere in today's post, along with news from Quo.

Come back soon, please!