Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Kulcher!

As my home town gears up for bearing the 'Capital of Culture 2008' mantle, the list of events set to take place throughout the year grows ever more thrilling. In amongst it all (and there's a lot going on, for sure), my very good friend Carl and I couldn't help but find 'Eric's - The Musical' the most - well, downright hilarious.

Carl and I pretty much grew up in and around Eric's, the legendary club/music venue that made rock'n'roll dreams come true. I have many memories of this cosy den of iniquity: a huge ragbag of contemporary 'Tales from the Crypt' made up of golden moments, teenage dreams and starry-eyed meanderings. As you might expect, I also have a great deal to mouth off about on the subject of the whole 'cultural city' shebang. I'm storing all that up for a later date because right now, I'm exhausted and Gordon Ramsay is set to enthrall me with a 'Kitchen Nightmare'. But I had to drop by to tell you that Carl and I couldn't help but indulge ourselves in a text flurry that's gone on over the last few days, rewriting our own memories in 'Capital of Culture' bandwagon style (well, in title form at least). Here are some of the highlights (apologies in advance if some are a little too subtle for those outside the 'in joke' circle):

'A Nightmare on Hope Street', 'Cheltenham Avenue - The Psychodrama',
'A River Runs Past It', 'Casablanca 2', 'Hell's Bistro' ... oh, how we laughed!

More in the pipeline, suggestions welcome - and okay Gordon, I'm ready for your close up ...

No comments: